Hey everyone! Welcome to my blog post where I'll be sharing my experiences and progress during the fourth week of my Google Summer of Code 2023. Before we dive into the details, I wanted to mention that I faced some health issues this week that slowed down my progress. However, I remained determined to make the most of the time I had and accomplished some significant milestones. So, let's get started and see what I was able to achieve despite the challenges.
UI Update for Roles Page:
One of the tasks I tackled this week was updating the UI for the Roles page. The permission list will be much longer and the old UI was not good to show a large collection of permissions. So, I made changes to enhance the user experience when adding roles and viewing the list of added roles. I incorporated a dropdown menu to display the list of permissions in both the "Add Role" form and the "Added Roles" list. This improvement provides a more intuitive and user-friendly interface.
Permission Table Truncation Issue: I encountered a bug from my old commit where the permission table was truncated after creating dummy users. There were some roles assigned to the user in the seeder before which get lost when the new roles are created by the
This issue resulted in authentication errors, disrupting the smooth functioning of the application. I was getting too many redirects after the login page. It was very difficult to find the main cause in the first instance.
To resolve this bug, I meticulously investigated the problem and identified the root cause. I tried seeding the database freshly and it doesn't give errors. This led me to the actual cause. I solved this bug the keeping the old roles and permissions along with the newly created ones. Will assign the newly created roles to the existing user in the upcoming week's plan.
Next Week Plan:
In the upcoming week, I have planned the following tasks:
Review and incorporate feedback from the mentor regarding the UI updates and bug fixes.
Integration of Roles Module in different parts like auth, login, etc.
Start working on the User Module.
The fourth week of my Google Summer of Code 2023 journey proved to be well-balanced. I successfully updated the UI for the Roles page, improving the user experience, and resolved a critical bug related to the permission table truncation issue.
Stay tuned for more updates in the next blog post as I continue my contribution to this remarkable project. Thank you for reading!
Don't forget to 👍 this blog post if you found the content valuable. You can also subscribe to the newsletter for email updates on future blog posts. 🚀